Thursday, January 6, 2011

Winter Vegetable Curry

I hope you had a good New Years!  I spent mine in San Francisco.  It was fun, but it's good to be back in The Biggest Little City in the World.

This is the second time I've made this curry with only slight changes, and yet again I forgot to take a picture!  I'll give you the recipe anyways.

I'd never really cooked with squash much before this winter.  I'm not a big fan of plain squash.  But I discovered a boatload of ways that I do like it.  I put some in my chili.  I roasted some with sage and walnuts leftover from Thanksgiving.  I made this curry:

Ingredients

  • 1 lb. butternut squash, seeded, peeled, cubed, and steamed til slightly soft (~5 minutes)
  • 1 14 oz can coconut milk
  • 1 cup water or stock
  • 2 tablespoons curry paste or powder
  • 1 red bell pepper, julienned
  • 2 potatoes, scrubbed and cubed
  • 1 cup peas
  • 2 large carrots, chopped
  • 1 medium apple, peeled, cored, and diced
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1 jalapeño, minced
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 inch fresh ginger, minced
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
Saute the onion in the oil for a few minutes, then the garlic and jalapeño for a few minutes.  Add the remaining ingredients and simmer until everything is heated through and the vegetables are cooked, at least 20 minutes. 

Adjust the spices to taste with curry powder or paste, turmeric, cumin, chili powder, salt, sugar, garlic, and/or ginger.  I added a little cumin, chili powder, and salt to mine.  

Serve with flat bread and/or rice!  

1 comment:

  1. This looks and sounds delicious. I will definitely be giving this a go, I LOVE curry. So far I've successfully made a curry with eggplant and yams. So yummy. Cannot wait to try this one. :)

    ReplyDelete